27 April 2012

Folk in a Box, Tiny Pop-Music Venue


Having been a singer/songwriter from my teens on up, this jumped out at me when I came across it. I played the Ocean City boardwalks, the corners of South Street in Philadelphia, and a few clubs and venues. I think the streets and boardwalks were my favorite because the people that stopped to listen didn't have to stop. I got a lot more satisfaction and confidence from those performances than any other.

Folk in a Box is the UK’s smallest performance venue. One audience member is allowed in at a time. The door is closed behind them. They are given one song, performed by one musician. By the time the song is the over, the musician is just about visible in the darkness and intimacy of the box. The experience is compelling.



As many times as I played one on one for folks, (friends, family, lovers, potential lovers) I don't think I ever envisioned anything as intimate as this. Thinking about it, I don't really know if I would want to be the one performing or the audience. Stevie Nicks, Chrisitna Perri, Justin Furstenfeld (Lead singer for Blue October), Damien Rice...just a few of the people I would love to be in there listening to.

Here is a video on the making of Folk in a Box. As far as I know, there is no video of an actual performance. If anyone finds one, let me know.

                         
                            Folk in a Box: The Making of! from David Knight on Vimeo.

So...if you could pick just one artist to perform just one song for you in the box, who would it be and what song?


Via PSFK
Photos by Sakiko Kohashi, Folk in a Box, and David Knight
video by David Knight




2 comments:

  1. Dom from Folk in a Box here. Glad you picked up on this. We try not to make videos of performance inside the box, it ruins the magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting on my little blog. I love the whole concept. Sow, when you say you 'try' not to make videos does that imply that you 'have'???? hmmm?
    I would love to see 'something' even if it's just a camera 'outside' the box during a performance and then an interview with the performer and the 'audience' afterwards. Any chance?

    ReplyDelete